A Pre-Christmas Tradition

Home Page Forums Christmas Traditions & Ideas A Pre-Christmas Tradition

This topic contains 7 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of BobCratchet BobCratchet 1 year ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of BobCratchet
    BobCratchet

Festive Hello’s To All!

I have a Christmas tradition which is quite fun.

As you may have guessed, I do love reading ‘A Christmas Carol’, so for the past several years, I’ve taken myself (and in previous years, a chum or two) on a short walk (frequenting a pub or two on the way) to some of the focal areas in Dickens book.

I start at Cornhill where Bob slid on the ice slide in honour of the day and then work my way through the alleys to ‘change Alley’, which is thought where the author placed Scrooge’s Counting House. If you follow the alley west and take a sharp right turn, you find yourself opposite the corner of the Royal Exchange, which was the Corn Exchange back in the day and was where Scrooge conducted some of his business.

Whilst most of the buildings in the City have changed considerably, the road layout hasn’t so it’s quite thrilling to think that you are treading where the key character were meant to have trod! It’s a good lark and I was thrilled to see that in the Jim Carrey animation version of the book, the key areas of my walk were shown – The Mayor’s Mansion and The Exchange to name just two. They even looked like the buildings – I liked the authenticity!

I’m just waiting for it to get a bit colder now and then I’ll be navigating the cobbles once more! If it’s of interest, let me know and I’ll take some photos and post them up.

Tally Ho Ho Ho! :1smiley008:

Bob

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.