Apple butter

Home Page Forums Crafts & Homemade Gifts Apple butter

This topic contains 10 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of gottadance gottadance 3 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of gottadance
    gottadance
    Participant

So this year I found two neighbors with apple trees and they weren’t eating any of the apples. I picked two big bags and could have picked more. I made some really easy apple butter – you don’t even peel the apples. Just core them, throw into processor and mince, put in pan, add sugar, cinnamon and/or nutmeg and water, cook for a while until the apples are soft and the butter’s the right consistence.

You then can the apple butter in a canner – or put it in the freezer if you use the jars that are can or freeze. I did some of each. I have tons of apple butter – I use 8 oz-16 oz jars. I like the smaller ones because unless you have a large family the butter will go bad before you finish it all.

I stopped at Menard’s tonight and got some 4 oz jars. I’m going to thaw some of the butter I froze and put it into the little jars and give it away as favors for my baby shower this weekend. I’ll keep some of the apple butter for me and the bf, but give some of it away for Xmas as gifts – to the neighbor, the mail person. What I like about apple butter is that its something you can enjoy after the holidays if it’s canned/sealed or if you freeze it right away. When you get so much food during the holidays it’s like you’re on overload and it’ll go bad before you eat it.

I’ll just tie a pretty ribbon around the jar. I think people will appreciate it more than cookies.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.