Christmas on the Radio

Home Page Forums Christmas Media & Literature Christmas on the Radio

This topic contains 26 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of sdkluger sdkluger 1 year ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of sdkluger
    sdkluger
    Participant

Before TV was the family entertainment of choice there was radio. Each Christmas many radio programs, networks, and/or stations aired special Christmas programs. Unfortunately I wasn’t around when these programs were broadcast, but I have the next best thing. I have copies of many Christmas broadcasts that I listen to every year. Some of my favorites (and my family’s favorites) are:

The Cinnamon Bear – a 26-part serial chronicaling the journey of Jimmy and Judy as they along with the Paddy O’Cinnamon (the Cinnamon Bear), try to rescue their silver star that goes atop the Christmas tree.

Dragnet – Big Little Jesus – The baby Jesus has been stolen from the nativity scene in a local Catholic church and Sergeant Joe Friday and his partner try to find it.

Grand Central Station – Miracle for Christmas – A disgruntled ambulance driver decides to continue driving the sick to the hospital after he has a miraculous encouter with a new intern from Albany.

Cambell’s Playhouse – A Christmas Carol – This has to be my all-time favorite. Lionel Barrymore plays Scrouge in this wonderful version of Dickens’ story.

Command Performance – During WWII many of the stars of radio and early TV got together for a special Christmas broadcast for the troops. These broadcasts, hosted by Bob Hope, are very funny. They made it such a big production that it got bigger each year. I remember listening to several of them in a row expecting the third one to end after an hour and a half. It was closer to 2 and a half hours long.

I’m putting together a comprehensive set of Christmas programs that I have. It’s already over 4 cds long, each cd contains about 60+ shows in mp3 format. Every so often I’ll post more about a certain show. Maybe we’ll have to get Jinglebelle to give this its own topic heading. What do you say, Jinglebelle? 🙂

Until next time,

Tim

Profile photo of Jinglebelle
    Jinglebelle
    sdkluger wrote:
    Maybe we’ll have to get Jinglebelle to give this its own topic heading. What do you say, Jinglebelle?

Until next time,

Tim

Hey Tim… sorry I just got by to see this post… I think it’s great!! 😀

I’m going to make this post a sticky for now so it will stay at the top of the forum… I’m getting ready to organize a little around here, after that I’ll find a proper home for this GREAT thread!

sdkluger
    Participant

Sorry it took me so long to post more old time radio Christmas shows. Life’s been keeping me extremely busy lately. But that’s in the past. Here’s two more shows that were so well liked that they were rebroadcast several years in a row.

Amos and Andy: In the Amos and Andy Christmas show Andy takes Amos’s daughter, Arbadella, window shopping. Arbadella sees a doll that she really likes. Andy doesn’t have the money to get it for her so he takes a job as the store Santa so Arbadella could have her doll for Christmas. Andy’s reactions to some of the kids’s requests (one boy asked for a baby brother) are really funny. Later when it was time for Arbadella to go to bed she hears the song “The Lord’s Prayer” but doesn’t think it’s a Christmas song. Amos takes each phrase of the song and shows his little one that “The Lord’s Prayer” is one of the greatest Christmas songs.

Lum and Abner – Lum and Abner own and run the Jot ‘Em Down store in Pine Ridge, Arkansas. One Christmas Eve they hear about a couple holed up in an abandoned barn because they didn’t have any money after paying their taxes in the county seat. The town doctor let them know that he was called to go to the barn to deliver a baby. Lum and Abner, along with their friend Granpappy Spears, are walking to the barn carrying supplies that the little family may need. When they arrived they found that the little baby, a boy, had been born and that mother and baby are doing well. They decided to offer to help them out by letting Joseph, the husband, do some carpentry work (he’s a carpenter by trade) in their store. In the story they compare themselves to the three wise men bringing gifts to the baby. It’s not often that the characters in a story realize and verbalize that they are playing a part from the nativity story.

Until next time,

Tim

Profile photo of ElfinErv
    ElfinErv
    Participant

Great post, I have several old time Christmas radio shows with Bing and they are great

Profile photo of RadioJonD
    RadioJonD

Plenty of Christmas OTR here! – http://tinyurl.com/44gwv9

RadioJonD

Here’s around 150 OTR Christmas shows on a web site called Fab Radio – http://worldpeacepoll.com/fabradio/vintage-christmas-shows/

Click the purple speaker next to “Listen to Vintage Christmas Show” This brings up a stand alone player with all the shows loaded into it. You may pick and choose shows in this neat old radio looking player.

If you want to go straight to the player (it will be full screen and not stand alone) here’s the link – http://www.organicparents.org/mp3s/a_christmasOTR.html

These are streams only. It looks as if something is wrong with the website as there is a large blank space as if the show titles should be there. Fear not though, for the player has all of the shows listed with it.

RadioJonD

Be sure to check the schedule at Merry Christmas in the next month or so. We are possibly adding OTR Shows in the mornings!

ElfinErv
    Participant

I really love them Jack Benny shows

RadioJonD;11690 wrote:
    Plenty of Christmas OTR here! – http://tinyurl.com/44gwv9

Anonymous

I like old radio shows.. This will be neat!

ElfinErv
    Participant

I’m listening to old radio versions of Christmas Carol

sdkluger
    Participant

I’ve been going through a 6-CD set of old time radio Christmas shows. I also have a 4-CD set and a 2-cd set so I’m wanting to consolidate and enlarge. Once I finish listening to the 6-CD set I’ll be looking at the others to see if they have better versions of the shows that are problems on the large set.

Anonymous

I see the Cinnamon Bear on that list 🙂

ElfinErv
    Participant

Dragnet – Big Little Jesus is a real classic, excellent

RadioJonD
    ElfinErv;13701 wrote:
    I really love them Jack Benny shows

The first OTR show out of the gate at MCR will be a Jack Benny Christmas show from 1938, I think. I just edited the twenty-seven minute show into segments and am looking for another show to play behind it now.

MCR director, JayIsh and I are still working out the start date and times for “OTR on MCR” at the moment. I’ll post here when it kicks off!

sdkluger
    Participant
    RadioJonD;14060 wrote:
    The first OTR show out of the gate at MCR will be a Jack Benny Christmas show from 1938, I think. I just edited the twenty-seven minute show into segments and am looking for another show to play behind it now.

MCR director, JayIsh and I are still working out the start date and times for “OTR on MCR” at the moment. I’ll post here when it kicks off!

How much Christmas OTR do you have? I can send you more if you wish. I have The Cinnamon Bear and should soon have Jonathan Thomas and His Christmas on the Moon. Both follow the same show format, each episode about 10 – 11 minutes long.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.