Christmas on the Radio

Home Page Forums Christmas Media & Literature Christmas on the Radio

This topic contains 26 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of sdkluger sdkluger 1 year ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of RadioJonD
    RadioJonD
    sdkluger;14062 wrote:
    How much Christmas OTR do you have? I can send you more if you wish. I have The Cinnamon Bear and should soon have Jonathan Thomas and His Christmas on the Moon. Both follow the same show format, each episode about 10 – 11 minutes long.

Thanks for the offer, Tim! Right now I’ve got around one hundred shows.

I see the Cinnamon Bear fairly cheaply online, so I will probably purchase it and work it into the OTR lineup. When I start to run out of programs, I’ll “holler” at you!

Profile photo of ElfinErv
    ElfinErv
    Participant

excellent I can’t wait 😀

RadioJonD;14060 wrote:
    The first OTR show out of the gate at MCR will be a Jack Benny Christmas show from 1938, I think. I just edited the twenty-seven minute show into segments and am looking for another show to play behind it now.

MCR director, JayIsh and I are still working out the start date and times for “OTR on MCR” at the moment. I’ll post here when it kicks off!

Anonymous

Sounds interisting.Most specials on tv these days are usually romantic and Im not a big fan of romace shows or movies.

Profile photo of sdkluger
    sdkluger
    Participant

Here’s the synopsis of a show that aired on Christmas Day, 1942, one year after the U.S. entered WW2. The show was called Treasury Star Parade and the episode was called A Modern Scrooge. The U.S. Treasury Dept produced the show as a long commercial to sell war bonds. The episode starred Lionel Barrymore as Jeb Kreager. (I think that nearly all of the best Christmas Carol adeptations starred LB as Scrooge. For those who may not know who Lionel Barrymore is, he played Potter in It’s A Wonderful Life.)

Jeb Kreager was a tight, stingy old man. His country, the USA, was at war and needed people to purchase war bonds so their soldiers would have the munitions and equipment needed to fight. Jeb refused to buy bonds. One night the ghost of Jeb’s brother appeared to him accusing him of not taking care of his nephew, the brother’s son, as Jeb promised. The ghost takes $18.75, the price of a war bond, that Jeb had laid out on his nightstand and flew off with it. Jeb chased the ghost not stopping to pull even a robe over his nightshirt. The first stop is Congress where all appropriations for war materials have stopped for lack of money. Jeb protests as his $18.75 is brought into Congress and appropriated. Then the ghost, followed by Jeb, is off to a munitions plant dark and silent until Jeb’s $18.75 arrives. Bullets are made which are then taken to a battlefield, to a machinegun nest where only one survivor mans the gun, Jeb’s nephew. The gun is empty. The enemy is charging with fixed bayonets. Jeb’s nephew is crying out for more ammunition. The ghost turns to Jeb only now he has the $18.75 in his hands instead of the box of cartridges. What does Jeb want to do, keep the money or exchange it for the bullets that will save his nephew? Jeb takes the bullets and delivers them to his nephew just in time. The next day Jeb arrives at the post office with a package of warm clothes to send to his nephew. He also buys $500 worth of war bonds. Jeb now does all he can to help the war effort where previously he refused to help. Like Scrooge, Jeb was a changed man.

Profile photo of ChasNole
    ChasNole
    sdkluger;27938 wrote:
    Here’s the synopsis of a show that aired on Christmas Day, 1942, one year after the U.S. entered WW2. The show was called Treasury Star Parade and the episode was called A Modern Scrooge. The U.S. Treasury Dept produced the show as a long commercial to sell war bonds. The episode starred Lionel Barrymore as Jeb Kreager. (I think that nearly all of the best Christmas Carol adeptations starred LB as Scrooge. For those who may not know who Lionel Barrymore is, he played Potter in It’s A Wonderful Life.)

Jeb Kreager was a tight, stingy old man. His country, the USA, was at war and needed people to purchase war bonds so their soldiers would have the munitions and equipment needed to fight. Jeb refused to buy bonds. One night the ghost of Jeb’s brother appeared to him accusing him of not taking care of his nephew, the brother’s son, as Jeb promised. The ghost takes $18.75, the price of a war bond, that Jeb had laid out on his nightstand and flew off with it. Jeb chased the ghost not stopping to pull even a robe over his nightshirt. The first stop is Congress where all appropriations for war materials have stopped for lack of money. Jeb protests as his $18.75 is brought into Congress and appropriated. Then the ghost, followed by Jeb, is off to a munitions plant dark and silent until Jeb’s $18.75 arrives. Bullets are made which are then taken to a battlefield, to a machinegun nest where only one survivor mans the gun, Jeb’s nephew. The gun is empty. The enemy is charging with fixed bayonets. Jeb’s nephew is crying out for more ammunition. The ghost turns to Jeb only now he has the $18.75 in his hands instead of the box of cartridges. What does Jeb want to do, keep the money or exchange it for the bullets that will save his nephew? Jeb takes the bullets and delivers them to his nephew just in time. The next day Jeb arrives at the post office with a package of warm clothes to send to his nephew. He also buys $500 worth of war bonds. Jeb now does all he can to help the war effort where previously he refused to help. Like Scrooge, Jeb was a changed man.

That is awesome!:grinn:

Profile photo of gottadance
    gottadance
    Participant

I love old-time radio shows and listen to them all the time when I’m running errands on the weekends.

Profile photo of ElfinErv
    ElfinErv
    Participant

I listened to the radio version of It’s A Wonderful Life on Live365 the other night, it was great

Profile photo of ChristmasRose
    ChristmasRose
    Participant

Radio 103.3 FM (K103) just started their Christmas format today…! If you’re located in the Northwestern Oregon area and love all things Christmas, all the time via the radio airwaves — it’s all there…!

Profile photo of Number4son
    Number4son
    Spectator

With so much available on the internet now and with unlimited data everywhere, the need for Christmas on the radio is not as great. Sometimes during the season I like to listen to a non-Christmas station just to get a break.

Profile photo of Christy Carol
    Christy Carol
    Participant

Last year we had a local radio station changing formats so on a whim they decided to change over to Christmas early and run it until the new format started on the 26th of December. So Halloween night Tom and I were heading home and Im scrolling stations and hear a Christmas carol. Thinking it was just a joke or something I left it on there and the next song was Christmas too. Finally a commercial came on announcing it was playing Christmas until the big day. I loved it but alot of folks complained on their FB page. Like it mattered, the old channel was gone anyway.

Christy Carol
    Participant

And Ill confess, I have been listening at work to Christmas on Pandora for a few weeks now. What can I say? Im a Christmas music junkie.

Profile photo of Number4son
    Number4son
    Spectator

I would love to have a local station that played movie soundtracks, like the ones on satellite radio do. They could focus on Halloween or Christmas music when appropriate. I’d listen to it at work.

Christy Carol
    Participant

Funny you mention that, I tried to find Home Alone on Pandora the other day. I knew there would be other songs like the soundtrack mixed in but I like the style of music. Big mistake, Home Alone is some heavy metal grunge junk.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.