Decorations are up!

Home Page Forums Deck the Halls Decorations are up!

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Christy Carol Christy Carol 7 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of HollyKing
    HollyKing
    Participant

Actually, decorations were up yesterday, but after doing the decorating I needed to rest.

:zzz::zzz::zzz::zzz::zzz:

Most of my decorations are on the outside – garland, lights, blowmold Santa, Christmasy welcome mat… what’s the fun in decorating if no one but you can see it?

But I also have a few inside decorations – a stocking for each bedroom door, a faux mistletoe ball over my computer desk, a Christmasy throw on the back of the futon, a “Merry Christmas” sign in the front window, and an eight-candle candolier (with blue bulbs) in the bathroom window.

I need to make plans to replace my garland… it’s getting kind of threadbare. I’m hoping to be able to find holly garland again without paying a king’s ransom… I love me some holly!

HollyKing
    Participant

And again….

Not much has changed since I wrote this last year – BUT –

The holly garland has gone the way of the dodo… just couldn’t make it work for another year. So I took a page from Halloween and ordered some plastic chain. Each link is 2″ long and I ordered 25 feet of the stuff – 12.5 feet in red, 12.5 feet in green. For one horrifying evening I clipped each link in half and twisted it open enough to separate it from the rest of the chain. Then I RE-assembled it, alternating one red link to one green link.

So let’s do the math for a second. 2″ links means 6 links in a foot times 25 feet – meaning 150 links that all had to be cut and reassembled – red-green-red-green-red-green ad infinitum.

I only crushed my fingers maybe half a dozen times….

The day before Thanksgiving I went to Dollar Tree and picked up 17 packages of jingle bells in gold and silver – 9 bells to each package for a total of 153. I planned to attach these to the chain every 3 links or so… but alas, it didn’t work out. The bells were too heavy, made the chain hang crooked. I’ll figure out some way to use them, sooner or later….

Advantages of the chain:

It’s colorfast… sunlight doesn’t cause it to fade
    It’s practically weatherproof; it’ll very likely outlast the owner.
    It looks kinda like the paper chains we made in kindergarten and elementary school, but several hundred times more durable.
    If you don’t want to use it for garland, you can use short lengths of it to hang some decorations, like – for instance – a mistletoe ball.
    If you don’t like red and green, try silver and gold. You might be able to use it – in the 1″ size, I think 2″ might be too heavy – as garland on your tree.

• This reply was modified 7 months, 3 weeks ago by Profile photo of HollyKing HollyKing.
    HollyKing
    Participant

Pictures, more or less competent….

Profile photo of Christy Carol
    Christy Carol
    Participant

So glad you reposted! I need to start taking some pics of mine. I hope to be finished today finally.

And dont forget to repost the ones of Bones!

HollyKing
    Participant

The link thing doesn’t seem to be working, so I guess you just paste this into the browser….

What’s new/different for your 2016 Christmas?

• This reply was modified 7 months, 2 weeks ago by Profile photo of HollyKing HollyKing.
    • This reply was modified 7 months, 2 weeks ago by Profile photo of HollyKing HollyKing.
    Profile photo of sleighride2
    sleighride2
    Participant

My home has been done since a week before Thanksgiving,it is so lovely,enjoying the season.

Profile photo of Christy Carol
    Christy Carol
    Participant

I havent messed with the links things but Ill take a look HK

SleighRide, you are lucky! I swear, next year Im gonna start in July!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.