Fall is coming!!

Home Page Forums This, That, & Other Holidays Fall is coming!!

This topic contains 17 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Christy Carol Christy Carol 3 weeks, 6 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Christy Carol
    Christy Carol
    Participant

Our local weather geek who is a total winter person loves to remind us daily that with the end of August rapidly approaching that is also the end of meteorological summer.  Works for me!!

So today I went ahead a put out a few Fall decorations that I’ve recently picked up so they were already in the house.  Just a couple of scarecrows and a little pumpkin thing but its a start.  I haven’t mucked out to my storage shop yet but might try to tomorrow since I normally do decorate Labor Day weekend.  And if I dont get it on before the bad rain moves in I probably wont until late next week.  I have to admit it was a little weird setting those things out.  I dont think its hit me that Fall is upon us.  But I can get ready really, really quickly when it does! 😀

Profile photo of sdkluger
    sdkluger
    Participant

You know fall is here when the apple orchards start opening up.  The one in Indiana that we went to last year opens tomorrow (8/30).  We hope to go once or twice to get some apples.  They also have the best pumpkin doughnuts I’ve ever had.  They could knock Krispy Kreme off the #1 pedestal.

Profile photo of gottadance
    gottadance
    Participant

Hi there – I’m excited, too – and, we are having a super mild August – already feeling fall like. The peaches are ripe – picked a bunch today. Yay!

Christy Carol
    Participant

Hey GD!  Saw the peaches on FB, they look delish.  My hubs would eat every one of them at one sitting!  He loves fresh peaches that much!

I found out today thanks to a friend who knows Im a crazy pumpkin lady that Sonic FINALLY brought back their pumpkin pie milkshake!!!!!  Talk about making my day!  Its been 6 years, 6 YEARS!  I had given up hope of it ever coming back.  They also have a pumpkin pie concrete since that seems to be their new thing but I just want the milkshake.  Im about 20-25 minutes from the nearest Sonic but I will be heading out shortly to get one!

Profile photo of whitney37354
    whitney37354
    Participant

Two of my co-workers were talking about preparing to decorate their homes for fall this weekend.  I usually break out the few fall decor pieces I have on Labor Day.  DD loves the Sonic Oreo concrete custard.  I’d say the pumpkin one would be mighty fine too!

Profile photo of Dasher
    Dasher
    Keymaster

Down here in Louisiana, all this week we’ve had fantastic weather. Lows were in the mid to upper 50’s and Highs weren’t getting above around 82. Just the week before we were in the mid 70s in the mornings and mid 90s by 11am, so that’s saying a lot! Needless to say, got up the first morning a sat on the porch with a cup of coffee and got the first feeling of Winter coming. We’ll be back to our normal lows and highs by the end of this week, but I think we won’t get into the mid 90’s anymore this season (Thank God!).

whitney37354
    Participant

We finally bought our Pumpkin Delights yesterday!  DD threw three boxes in the cart & would have gotten more if I hadn’t stopped her.  She said we had to stock up! FIL’s birthday dinner was last night, so we had cake.  Maybe we’ll eat a PD tonight!

I got my fall kitchen decor up, but I still have a few other things to get out.   We had a very busy weekend, & this weekend looks to be no different!  We’ll try to get those weekend chores done during the week so we don’t get too far behind.

whitney37354
    Participant

Finally got to eat the Pumpkin Delights over my lunch hour!

Profile photo of gottadance
    gottadance
    Participant

Fall decor was up Sept. 1 and leaves starting to change color/fall from trees. I just love fall. We had some really cool weather but now are in a warm period expected to last about 10 more days. 🙁  Used a bunch of peaches to make peach butter. Gave a bunch of peaches away – there were just so many. Eating a bunch too. I started collecting walnuts that have fallen from the tree – I will freeze them and on Christmas Day I put them out for the squirrels. Lots of birds migrating.  Asters and goldenrod blooming – the last of the summer flowers. I haven’t put up my inside decor but maybe tomorrow we can do that. Fall officially starts on 9/22 -whoohooo!

whitney37354
    Participant

Well, here we are over half way through September & I still don’t have my little bit of fall decor out except for the kitchen.  Weekends have been busy & I just forget/am too tired to do it during the week.  Maybe this week…

Christy Carol
    Participant

Dasher I think we are all eating those words, so much for a nice taste of Fall.  Its so miserable outside now I dont even want to step out of the house.  Weather guessers are saying it will now be the first of Oct before we cool down again and its not looking like too much of a cool down either.

GD sounds like you guys are really in the middle of Fall.  I saw a picture of C on your FB page and it looked like a lot of leaves have fallen, Ill admit I was jealous!

Whitney, sounds like DD has her priorities straight when it comes to the Delights.  She could have been filling the buggy full of junk but instead chose Delights! LOL!!!!  Glad you finally got to enjoy some.

And Whitney, I am with you on the Fall decor too.  I started out pretty strong with the items I already had in the house but since the majority of my decorations are out in my shop, I havent gotten them out.  Its so dang hot in there I just dont wanna!  I told Tom yesterday Im gonna go buy a window unit to put in there so I can go thru my stuff.  I might even need it for when I start decorating for Christmas if it doesn’t cool off!  And Im being serious, I see Walmart has them marked down right now and Im probably gonna get one tomorrow.  My shop it 320 square feet so I can get a really small one and have it freezing in there!

whitney37354
    Participant

Well, I got out one wooden pumpkin…; All three of us know there is a wire pumpkin candle holder somewhere in the house, but we can’t find it.  I also need to put the pumpkins on the porch, but we are supposed to have a new front door installed this week, so I’ll wait for the to finish up.  I need to see if I still have my fall flag too.

Christy Carol
    Participant

Its a start!!

I just came in from my shop and WOW!  Is it hot in there or what?!  I know I should have gone first thing this morning but I was busy with other things and just made it outside.  I was able to grab one tub and a few loose things and had to give it up.  It was 95 degrees outside today along with the oppressive humidity that seems to have moved in again so I know it was close to 100 in that building.  I think my snowmen are melting.  It will NOT feel like Fall here Friday :’-(

Christy Carol
    Participant

I bought a clay jack at Walmart a few weeks ago and brought it home and painted it.  I just put the sealer on it so its outside for the season.  Gotta dig out my battery operated light to put in it and that will be my outside decor this year!  I havent bought any mums or pumpkins yet to do my yard display and more than likely wont.  Well I say that and tomorrow I might pick some up!  LOL!  Its just been so hot its hard to get in the mood.  Its like trying to decorate for Christmas in July.

Profile photo of Dasher
    Dasher
    Keymaster

Our temps down here are starting to get a little milder. We’ll have a few more weeks of low to mid 90’s highs before we see another good “cool down” spell. At some point around (or hopefully before) Halloween, we should be seeing highs in the mid-to-upper 70’s, maybe low 80’s some days. It really doesn’t get very cold in Louisiana anymore until mid-November.

I can remember as a kid, Halloween night was usually a cold night here. But I can’t remember the last time it got chilly on Halloween. I am definitely ready for cooler weather, pumpkin spice scents around the house, and using the bagger on my lawnmower to pick up leaves.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.