How do/did you display your Christmas cards now/in the past?

Home Page Forums Christmas Traditions & Ideas How do/did you display your Christmas cards now/in the past?

This topic contains 39 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of gottadance gottadance 9 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of gottadance
    gottadance
    Participant

When I was a kid, one of us made this Christmas card display thing – it was a coffee can with the ends cut out and you wrapped red and green yarn through it. Then you slipped the Christmas card through the yarn loops on the outside, so you’d have the can in the middle with all of the cards fanning out. It seemed like when we were kids we got SO many Christmas cards. Of course, then, so many more relatives were alive.

We also had this red wooden sleigh and my mom would put Christmas cards in there. We had some stairs going up that were open with a decorative wrought iron railing and sometimes my mom would tie ribbon to that and staple the cards to the ribbon so the stair railing looked decorated with cards. In the past, I’ve displayed Christmas cards by tying a piece of ribbon to a curtain rod and them stapling the cards to the ribbon – they made a pretty decoration.

Lately, I’ve been just putting them out on display on a cupboard in my kitchen. The only thing about that is that any time there’s a breeze – if I’m cooking in the kitchen and turn on a fan, there go the cards. What I like about it though is that when I’m in my kitchen, which is a lot around the holidays, I can see all of the pretty cards I’ve received. And, when my family used to come in, they would read the various cards and look at pictures of family friends. Now they’re just for my enjoyment. 🙂

Anonymous

I put old cards around the doorframe in my living room and any new ones I get I hang on a long thick piece of yarn that I have on the wall.

Profile photo of sdkluger
    sdkluger
    Participant

We have a small bulletin board in our hallway. Extras get taped up in the living room.

Profile photo of ChasNole
    ChasNole

Very cool everyone.

Mine is too simple, tape ’em to the inside of the front door.

gottadance
    Participant

@Charleston Noel 55371 wrote:

Very cool everyone.

Mine is too simple, tape ’em to the inside of the front door.

Don’t you then have tape stuck to the door?

Profile photo of ChasNole
    ChasNole

@gottadance 55382 wrote:

Don’t you then have tape stuck to the door?

Nope, you gotta love scotch tape, no sticky either.:cool:

Profile photo of SusieSnowflake
    SusieSnowflake
    Participant

When I was a kid all around the door frames, now on our mirror fireplace wall, looks so pretty..:confetti:

Anonymous

It would appear that over the years the number of cards we receive are diminishing. We are able to display most in a “Christmasy” decorated wicker basket on an end table or counter top.

With the cost of postage continuing to rise and the cost of prepackaged cards it is often more convenient for our friends and families to send electronic versions of Christmas cards.

In the past we have sent hand crafted cards along with the annual “update” letter.

Anonymous

I used to tape them to the front door and pantry door. Last year I bought a Christmas card tree. It’s a wire tree, about 3 feet high, and you poke the Christmas cards between the wires.

gottadance
    Participant

@susiesnowflake 55402 wrote:

When I was a kid all around the door frames, now on our mirror fireplace wall, looks so pretty..:confetti:

oooh mirror fireplace wall – that does sound pretty!

Profile photo of Christy Carol
    Christy Carol
    Participant

I have a…hum what would you call it? Its sorta like a ceramic, oval shaped holder that is designed to look like an envelope. Its all Christmasy and the to and from address are something like the north pole and candy cane lane.

Profile photo of whitney37354
    whitney37354
    Participant

Growing up, we didn’t get Christmas cards. I guess we were all too poor to afford the postage?

As an adult, I’ve done it three different ways:
    1. taped around door facings
    2. on a paper Christmas card holder
    3. in a Christmas basket

It’s probably prettier & neater to have them in the basket, but I can’t enjoy them as much that way. Now I tape them around the door facings. It might not look so good to others, but it looks Christmassy to me!

gottadance
    Participant

@whitney37354 55546 wrote:

As an adult, I’ve done it three different ways:
    1. taped around door facings
    2. on a paper Christmas card holder
    3. in a Christmas basket

It’s probably prettier & neater to have them in the basket, but I can’t enjoy them as much that way. Now I tape them around the door facings. It might not look so good to others, but it looks Christmassy to me!

I’m with you – I want to see them – especially the sparkly ones – oooh sparkly…::smtree::

Anonymous

We display our cards by getting sticky tac and tac them high up on the walls, where everyone can read them and see them. Or, if you have a walk way put them around the walk way, then everyone can see your nice cards!! 🙂

Anonymous

Well, my new place has a honest to goodness fireplace mantel !! The ‘fireplace’ is actually a propane stove, you know, with the fake logs: you hit a switch and poof instant fire. Take it from me, this is far cleaner and simpler than a wood stove (been there, done that!). My point ? A place to stage our Christmas cards, of course!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.