How to spend my holiday/make the season festive

Home Page Forums Christmas Traditions & Ideas How to spend my holiday/make the season festive

This topic contains 33 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of gottadance gottadance 8 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of gottadance
    gottadance
    Participant

I need some suggestions. I’m single, 45, and for Christimas, my single sister usually flies in, as does my mom, from out of state. We usually go to my aunt and uncle’s house, about an hour away, on Christmas eve and visit with my aunts, uncles and cousins – it’s a fun, large raucous party and on the way home my sister and I talk about all the funny stories we heard, etc., while listening to Christmas music. It’s truly a great tradition. On Christmas Day I do the cooking, with help from my sis, and my mom, brother and his girlfriend are there. The week of Christmas my sister and I do various fun things together. And the weeks leading up to Christmas I do lots of cooking and decorating – which I love to do in prep for their visit.

My sister adopted a couple of kids last year year and came here with them – great fun. This year, she can’t swing coming out for Xmas and I can’t swing going out there. My mom said she doesn’t want to come in – last year the weather here in Chicago was very snowy, causing flight delays, and mom is a Florida resident now – hates cold weather. I’d always hoped by now I would have gotten married and had kids -had my own family to share the holidays with. I’m currently trying to adopt, but holidays can be a hard time – even with family here.

Although part of me feels like I just am looking forward to having some time off work (I’ve used up most of my time off this year with unsuccessful fertility treatments); the other part is starting to feel the holiday blues, wondering how it will be spending holidays without my sis, who’s my best friend. The idea of driving to my aunt/uncle’s by myself and all the way home by myself – ugh – so hard.

So, I’m trying to make plans for the holidays or put my mind in the right frame. Christmas is only one day and if I’m at my aunt/uncles until late at night Xmas eve, I may just enjoy sleeping in and relaxing Xmas day. I’m feeling sort of bah humbug – what’s the point of putting up all those decorations if no one will see them but me. It’s a lot of work. I’m trying to rally myself here – I feel like I need to have some other ways to feel like I’m celebrating the holiday season. At work we adopt a local children’s home and have a party for them – I always bake for it, which is nice. I used to have a big holiday party, but I can’t afford to do so this year and so many of my friends are now married and have kids, they can’t afford to hire sisters, or the kids are sick or I’ll feel like it’s me with a bunch of couples.

Anyone have any other ideas of what I can do to get through and relatively enjoy the holiday season?

Profile photo of Jinglebelle
    Jinglebelle

:huggs: I am sorry that your family can’t come be with you this year. šŸ™

As for suggestions… I was going to say volunteer to help some organization with a coat drive, or help out with toys for tots or at a local homeless shelter, or something like that… but you already do with your work.

I’ll have to think of something else.

Profile photo of Holidaycheer
    Holidaycheer

well, this isn’t much but if you get lonely and want to feel like the rest of the world is with you then you can feel free to enjoy some time on our website, which will be all Christmas’y. I will even dedicate a night in honor of you:) we have two nights taken already by other members of here I believe thursday nights are christy carols big kid chat, and saturday is erv eggnog get together. But any other night of the week I would be happy to dedicate in your honor:) that’s why I am the holiday cheermeister:)

Profile photo of ElfinErv
    ElfinErv
    Participant

Its important to decorate, bake, and listen to Christmas music as much as possible to help lift your spirits and keep tradition alive. After your adoption becomes successful the tradition will be even more enjoyable in the years to come.

In a previous job I knew lots of single people at work who had no where to go for Thanksgiving or Christmas, I would invite one or two over for dinner and my family never minded. My mother knowing this would always wrap up a few tagless generic gifts so these individuals even had a present or two to open.

It was a great time

Profile photo of sdkluger
    sdkluger
    Participant

I think I’d try to find either a family you know who can’t go home for Christmas or who can’t afford a big Christmas dinner and invite them to your place for Christmas dinner. If that’s not an option then have a Christmas day party for your single friends who aren’t going anywhere.

gottadance
    Participant
    Holidaycheer;30383 wrote:
    well, this isn’t much but if you get lonely and want to feel like the rest of the world is with you then you can feel free to enjoy some time on our website, which will be all Christmas’y. I will even dedicate a night in honor of you:) we have two nights taken already by other members of here I believe thursday nights are christy carols big kid chat, and saturday is erv eggnog get together. But any other night of the week I would be happy to dedicate in your honor:) that’s why I am the holiday cheermeister:)

LOL – I love this – just reading it made me feel better! Thank you, thank you! I’ll let you know if I need to have a night!

gottadance
    Participant
    Jinglebelle;30379 wrote:
    :huggs: I am sorry that your family can’t come be with you this year. šŸ™

As for suggestions… I was going to say volunteer to help some organization with a coat drive, or help out with toys for tots or at a local homeless shelter, or something like that… but you already do with your work.

I’ll have to think of something else.

Thanks – I think there are other ways I can volunteer, though. I’ll have to think of some more.

gottadance
    Participant

You guys are great – my first post and with your responses I’m already feeling better! Wow – thanks! If you have any other ideas throw them my way! Maybe I’m just focusing too much on the negative. I’ll still get to wrap presents for my new nieces (I love wrapping presents) and wrap presents for my cousins’ kids (about 10 of them). I’ll still do Christmas cards which I love to do. Well, I guess I need to focus on the fun stuff and be sure to keep my holiday social schedule active.

Holidaycheer
    gottadance;30417 wrote:
    LOL – I love this – just reading it made me feel better! Thank you, thank you! I’ll let you know if I need to have a night!

Your welcome:) glad to be able to make you feel better:) don’t worry our webcam(s) are always on during the holidays and I work from home so I am usually on the computer and always around for talking:) I already have a surprise in mind for you:) while your on our website we have a whole playlist of christmas music for you to listen to as well:):grinn: plus you will randomly find some of the regulars on here there in the chatrooms:) The halloween display is currently on if you care to catch a glimpse:) just make sure you click the halloween tab at the top to get the full experience.

Jinglebelle

Of course anytime you get down, you can always stop by here… were like a big family :grinn:

ElfinErv
    Participant

and eggnog…drink plenty of eggnog

Holidaycheer

Yeah I spend 85% of my down time here.

Profile photo of ChasNole
    ChasNole
    Jinglebelle;30429 wrote:
    were like a big family :grinn:

Yep, we all have our part…I’m the drunk uncle that makes everyone feel uneasy.:1smiley008:

Seriously, spend time us…I love to track Santa on Christmas Eve after everyone is asleep and am usually up all night waiting on him. Was online at MMC last year, will be here this year! I’ll chat till the wee hours or at least until I hear something or someone on the rooftop!:1smiley008:

Jinglebelle

Drunk uncle ::lol:: uneasy ::lol:: :lol::lol::ninja

YAY!! your gonna be here all night Christmas eve? Schweet!

ElfinErv
    Participant

šŸ˜®

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.