However, this recipe is associated with one of my most durable Christmas memories, so for those of you who want to give it a shot – go for it!
Some background first: I must have been about seven years old. My mother had made a gallon jug (wide-mouth) of Peanut Brittle, and another of Karo Krazy Krunch, which is kind of similar to Crackerjacks, Fiddle Faddle or Poppycock. I sat in between these delicacies, alternately stuffing my face with whatever came to hand while watching Mr. Magoo’s Christmas Carol. Never forgot either the show or the munchies associated with it.
KARO KRAZY KRUNCH
2 qt. popped pop corn
2/3 c. almonds
1 1/3 c. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla (or caramel flavoring)
1 1/3 c. pecans
1/2 c. Karo clear syrup
1 c. butter NOT margarine
1. Place popped corn and nuts on a cookie sheet.
2. In a saucepan, combine sugar, butter, and Karo syrup.
3. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.
4. Continue boiling and stirring for 10 to 15 minutes until mixture turns to light caramel color.
5. Remove from heat and add flavoring. Pour over corn and nuts.