Satin ornaments

Home Page Forums Deck the Halls Satin ornaments

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Christy Carol Christy Carol 9 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of HollyKing
    HollyKing
    Participant

I have something to say. (Did that make me feel like the Kurgan? Yes, it did.}

After careful consideration, I have concluded that the satin ornament was devised by Satan – (Satan, satin? Connection? You decide.) – or at least by the Krampus. You thought glass ornaments were fragile, give them a hard look and they disintegrate? You ain’t seen nothin’ yet!

Satin ornaments are a masterpiece of frustration. The moment they’re exposed to air – as in, the moment that you open their packaging – they start to frizz, fuzz, fray and come apart. Every time you touch them you make it worse. My mother, who had an abiding love for these satin abominations, used to spritz them with hair spray in the little pump-spray container, in the belief that this would slow their inevitable degeneration. In time, this practice led to the ornaments acquiring a yellowish glaze, without visibly affecting their march to destruction.

Me, I like the unbreakable plastic ornaments we have nowadays. Pitch ’em into the wall – they might embed themselves into the wall, but they won’t break. Breaking them requires pressures of a kind suitable to squish the Terminator. They come in every color of the rainbow, and in some colors that the rainbow would blush to acknowledge. Tacky? Well, maybe, but I’ll take durable over chic every day of the week, and twice on Christmas. Satin ornaments… I just see a picture of them and I itch like I’ve been rolling in old fiberglass insulation….

Profile photo of Dasher
    Dasher
    Keymaster

I agree! We love the plastic ornaments. And nowadays, you can find very nice, classic-looking plastic ornaments. Back when I was a kid, we had a ton of plastic ornaments with figures inside. I loved those.

Profile photo of Christy Carol
    Christy Carol
    Participant

Diorama ornies! I love those. Have a nice collection myself that Ive been picking up over the years. People dont realize these are little treasures that you cant find anymore. I normally tell them that after I have purchased them 🙂

And I am with Holly King about the satin balls. And in fact still have a large collection of them also. But each year it seems a couple end up in the trash because they have done just like you said. Can you even purchase them in stores anymore?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.