Thanksgiving!!!

Home Page Forums This, That, & Other Holidays Thanksgiving!!!

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of sleighride2 sleighride2 3 weeks, 3 days ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Christy Carol
    Christy Carol
    Participant

I cant believe we dont have a Thanksgiving thread! I mean its only THE best day of the year!  The official beginning to Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!!

I’ve got a little better news about our Thanksgiving, my eldest nephew will be coming in!!!!!!!!  He will arrive late on Wednesday afternoon and stay until Sunday.  So we will have a full weekend of fun.  I had already accepted it would be a quiet Thanksgiving this year and was ok with it.  But this really makes my year!  And the youngest is also trying to get off  work so he can come in but its still iffy.  Im proud to say he has become a chef in a vegan restaurant in KC so Black Friday will be a big day for him and he just might not be able to swing it.  If nothing else maybe we can Skype him for Thanksgiving dinner and tease him with all the good old fashioned southern food we fix that he misses and wont be able to have!  😀

31 days, 11 hours, 7 minutes and some change until Turkey Day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Profile photo of whitney37354
    whitney37354
    Participant

Christy, I always think of you on Thanksgiving morning!  I assume that we will have Thanksgiving breakfast with DH’s family as usual.  MIL has sent the frozen pumpkin to us for DH to make the annual Thanksgiving pies.  We usually have lunch at my sister’s house, without my brother’s family.  This year, my sister has to work & tension are high, as usual, with brother & SIL.  Mom said she is having Thanksgiving lunch the Sunday before Thanksgiving & she will send a text to my brother about it.  Whoever shows up, shows up, and she just “wants to get it over with”.  We shouldn’t feel that way, but we do.

I keep asking Mom if we are going to draw names for stockings for Christmas.  She says we are, but she dreads bringing it up to see if brother & SIL want to participate this year.  If they don’t, Mom is determined that the rest of us are going to do it, we’ll just have to fill our niece’s stocking & brother & SIL won’t have one.  It’s not niece’s fault that her parent’s don’t have much to do with our side of the family. All of the other grandchildren are older now & they understand what’s going on.  They would understand if we skipped the stockings, but Mom is insisting that we go forward with it.

Let’s end on a happy note:  The upside is that my little family of three can get out our tree on Thanksgiving night & get a head start on decorating our own home for Christmas!

Profile photo of sleighride2
    sleighride2
    Participant

Hard to believe it’s almost November wow time is flying as i’ve been busy here with many Thanksgiving orders and already have some for christmas as i do holiday decor pieces and i bake and make confctions.Thanksgiving will be right here at home with my sister and a couple of friends it’s always cozy and as of November 4th my house gets decorated for christmas it’s a family tradition.

Christy Carol
    Participant

Whitney you know me, Ill dancing around the living room to Macy’s Thanksgiving Day parade!!!

It sounds like the morning will be nice atleast!  What will you guys do later in the day since you wont be going to sis’s, before its time to decorate?  Are you gonna make a special meal?  I was hoping your brother would settle down some but I guess its not to be.  I miss my parents like crazy made and still cry at the happy memories but I sure dont miss that drama.  Of course there is my grandmother but I dont think she would spend the day with her even if we asked.  So Im not gonna worry about it.  Its my sisters house where we will celebrate the day so it will be up to my sister to handle it.  If I was your mom I would approach the stocking subject to the bro and sis in law one time and then drop it.  And if they never give her an answer I would just move on.  People who try to make things all about themselves drive me INSANE!  So I just remove the power for them to do so.  Hence why Im not dealing with grammie this year.

Christy Carol
    Participant

Sleigh ride, your house will be all comfy cozy since you’ll be decorated by Thanksgiving.  Do you fix the traditional meal?

Profile photo of whitney37354
    whitney37354
    Participant

Christy, we will probably stay at DH’s parent’s house until just after noon, and them come home for an afternoon nap!  DH & DD love chicken casserole & it’s one of the few things I know how to make, so I could do that for dinner. I made it for them on Christmas Eve last year.   I’d rather have a turkey wrap & not have to cook or clean up!  DH is low carbing & has lost 50 pounds so far, so he usually skips one meal a day, usually dinner.  However, we could skip lunch that day since we’ll have a big breakfast & I could cook dinner while we start decorating.  Something to think about!

Sleighride, we hosted Thanksgiving at our house in 1995, the year we bought our first house.  We had been married almost two years at the time.  I enjoyed not having to get out of the house.  We always drive the short distances (30 & 45 minutes in opposite directions) to go to our parent’s homes.  We’re blessed to be so close to our families, even if they do stress us out at times.

Christy Carol
    Participant

Whitney that sounds like a nice Thanksgiving if you ask me!  I wish I was a napper, Im sure I would enjoy one but it will be non-stop all day for us I bet.  With us eating about 1-2pm we keep a busy morning.  The casserole sounds like a nice break in turkey, does it create a big mess cooking it?  I have a casserole I make thats super easy.  2 bags of Knorr Broccoli Cheddar Rice and two cans of cooked chicken.  One sleeve of Velveeta cheese sauce.  Cook the rice as directed but while it still has water in it I add the chicken and the Velveeta sauce.  Make sure the rice is cooked and then I dump it into the shallow casserole dish.  Cover with whatever cheese you like (I used processed cheeses so I dont get a grease coating on top) and cook at 350 until the cheese starts browning and get bubbly.  Hubby loves it.  Of course with your hubs weight loss and carbo diet he might frown at all the starches!

I was checking the deep freezer yesterday and I do have two loaves of braided bread left that we will cook Thanksgiving morning.  I havent come across anyone selling it this year so we will have to make due with the two I have.  And with grocery shopping happening Saturday I will go ahead and pick up a few things we will need Thanksgiving, I usually spread buying it out over two shopping trips so its not such a hit to the pocketbook.

4 weeks from today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Profile photo of sleighride2
    sleighride2
    Participant

Christ,i do the meal at my home with my sister and two of my cousins and a close friend.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.