Watching Christmas Ads – A New "Tradition"?

Home Page Forums Christmas Traditions & Ideas Watching Christmas Ads – A New "Tradition"?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Merry Merry 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Merry
    Merry
    Participant

There’s a minor fluff going on over here, mostly on social media, about some folks saying that watching the new batch of Christmas ads that start in November has become part of their family’s Christmas traditions.

Now you have to see some of these ads to appreciate how clever the retailers are with this. The ads that get the most attention are done by four or five of the big retailers and obviously make up a huge part of their annual advertising budget. They have a theme; one store likes to lean towards the sentimental/tear jerker type ad, another is very modern and upbeat. You get the idea.

Personally, I tend to take the cynical view of Christmas advertising. It has sod all to do with the meaning of Christmas and everything to do with inducing you to part with your money. But then, that’s the whole point of advertising. The thing that has folks divided is whether or not you feel the retailers are deliberately being calculating or genuinely want to make people feel good about the holidays. Or perhaps its a lot of Column A and a little of Column B.

Regardless of where you are on the issue, making it part of your family’s Christmas traditions is just too much for me. I don’t care how well done the ads are. I’ve posted the tear jerker one here for you to watch. Its done by giant retailer John Lewis, one of the upmarket stores. The ad is called “Man on the Moon”.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuz2ILq4UeA

What do you think? Is the seasonal advertising where you are so good you look forward to it each year? Does any particular ad stand out for you?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.